A pair of brothers brutally attacked a man with an axe and meat cleavers while he waited to be picked up.

Romaan Mahmood, 19, and Zidane Mahmood, 21, targeted the victim on September 3 last year while he stood outside a home in Oldham.

Just as he was getting in his cousin's car a Nissan Micra approached containing the Mahmood brothers and two other men, Jamal Saleem, 20, and Husnain Abid, 26, Manchester Evening News reports.

The group started shouting and screaming at the men, before one of them snatched the driver of the other car's keys.

Romaan Mahmood tried to open the rear passenger door, as the victim attempted to hold it shut.

Wielding an axe, he smashed the window of the car.

Abid and Saleem helped Romaan Mahmood open the car door.

Romaan Mahmood has been locked up for the attack
Romaan Mahmood has been locked up for the attack

Romaan Mahmood then swung the axe at the victim, but missed.

Zidane Mahmood then came round to the passenger side and attacked the victim with a meat cleaver.

He was hit a number of times with the axe by Romaan Mahmood, who also spat at him.

The brothers threatened him before getting in the Micra, taking the keys to his cousin's car with him.

When the cousin asked for his keys back, they were told if he 'snitched' they would petrol bomb his house.

Weeks earlier Romaan Mahmood and some other men had gone to the victim's house and made threats to petrol bomb the property.

The victim suffered serious injuries to his hands and arms and was hospitalised.

The Mahmood brothers, both of Chapel Road, Oldham, each admitted section 18 assault.

Romaan Mahmood was jailed for eight-and-a-half years, and Zidane Mahmood received a sentence of seven years and eight months.

They were sentenced at Minshull Street Crown Court
They were sentenced at Minshull Street Crown Court

Abid, also of Chapel Road, and Saleem, of Napier Street East, Oldham, both received 18 month community orders after admitting affray.

After the hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court, Detective Constable Tom Sutcliffe said: “This was a terrifying attack where not only was a man viciously assaulted, but serious threats were made to his family as well, leaving them fearing for their safety.

"The behaviour of these offenders was both ruthless and brutal and will absolutely not be tolerated in Greater Manchester.

"These sentences are very much deserved, and I can only hope that this period behind bars gives these men the time they need to reflect on the hurt they have caused through their violent and senseless actions."